Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Do it yourself birthday party decor and treats!

So this weekend i'm planning a small birthday party for my five year old ( a little late due to all the Jewish holidays). I decided to make most of my own desserts such as cupcakes, cake pops and even candy pops! If you have some time on your hands and want to save money the best thing to do is to make it yourself. I didn't used to really bother with these things because i always thought it was either to hard or not worth the hassle but not i realize that not only can you save tons of $$ but i find i really enjoy it as well. I also turn it into a fun activity for my daughter by getting her to help me with certain things!
For the poms (third picture) I took 12 sheets of tissue paper, you can mix different colors if you like and if you want them fuller use more paper. Lay the paper out flat on a table and start folding it like an accordion (left pic) all the way to the end (bottom pic).





Then you are going to fold the paper in half and tie in the middle. You can use anything you like but make sure to secure it tightly.





You then need to cut both ends, you can cut them either pointy or rounded, either way you prefer!
It should look like the pic below, don't worry if the ends are cut messy it wont show when its done!








You then begin to gently lift each piece of tissue paper one at at time on each side fluffing it up towards the center. Make sure to do it on both side so as to make a ball! This can be tricky and the tissue might tear but don’t be discouraged.  The final result is so fluffy and spherical that no one will notice a few tears.




 
And this is the final result!! They look so beautiful hanging from the ceiling as decoration! I bought my tissue paper from the dollar store and it came in a pack of 20 sheets for 1$ and i saw these for sale in a party store for $7.99/pack of 2!!! 


Here are pics of some of the decorations i made myself for the party, it was really easy cheap and fun to do and they look so beautiful!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Creative! I Cant believe how easy this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its also fun to do, my five year old was very eager to participate. I made all her birthday decor and at the same time it was a crafting activity for her!

    ReplyDelete